Q1)WHAT IS THE SPORTS EXCELLENCE TRUST, GIVE A FULL BACKGROUND OF THE FOUNDATION AND VISION BEHIND THE TRUST
SPORTS EXCELLENCE TRUST is a trust that was set up and registered on 15 August 2016 with the aim of raising funds and sponsorship for the development and advancement of all sports in Zimbabwe, and to ensure transparency and accountability in the management of the sponsorship and other funds raised.
The vision was planted in my heart way back in 2013. I ready a book called NOT FOR SALE Integrity in a culture of silence written by Samuel Koranteng-Pipim, Ph.D. In his introduction he said “We live in a culture of cowardly silence –a controversy- avoiding society where “getting along” is the way of life. In this culture of silence, we tend to be mute on critical issues or conditions, until our personal self interests are threatened, or until it is too late. I am a great supporter of football, athletics, karate and tennis. I was not happy on how sports especially football was marketed in Zimbabwe. I decided to be involved in sports management and be part of game changers.
At ZIFA I had an opportunity to research and endured the pain of administration and financial challenges. Most companies did not want to be associated with sports because they strongly believed that some sport Associations were not honest and do not adhere to good corporate government. I shared the challenges with Harlington Shereni and he told me that during their time they faced the same funding challenges.This trigged the desire to form Sports Excellence Trust
To become a world class sports trust which provides quality services to local and international sports partners.
To enhance sponsor value, creating sponsor confidence and promote good corporate governance
- To promote, publicise, market and sponsor selected local and international commitments to be undertaken by the Zimbabwe sports teams”
- To support budgets for the local teams, national associations covering salaries and benefits for key coaching and technical staff , kits, bonuses, insurance for players, training , travel and catering.
- To look after the interests of the sponsors and donors thereby creating a worthwhile value-proposition for the Sponsor involvement in the SPORTS’ commit
- To carry out any of the above objects either alone or in conjunction or association with or as agents of any other charitable or other body or for or in conjunction with the Government.
- To seek and accept donations or subscriptions and to raise and receive funds (whether in cash or in kind and whether movable or immovable property) for the purposes and objects of the Trust generally or for any one or more of the said objects
- To fundraise money for selected teams’ obligations both current and future.
- To merchandise the paraphernalia and Memorabilia for the benefit of the Trust.
Q2)WITH DATA CHARGES SO HIGH AND MOBILE PENETRATION LOW DO YOU RATE REACHING A MORE WIDER AUDIENCE
A2) Internet is becoming central in everybody’s life the world over. Digital is relatively cheap and easier to access compared with traditional media. Network providers established free and paid WiFi zones in Zimbabwe and most house-holds have internet services at home. Almost all offices have internet services. Our website is interactive and will be linked to mobile app. Our website is a ‘many to many medium ( through discussions) and membership platforms not only in Zimbabwe but through-out the world.